The Role of Road Safety in Achieving Sustainable CitiesOne UN Pavilion Venue: One UN Pavilion - Room B
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE),
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UNECLAC),
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
- World Business Council For Sustainable Development.
- Christian Friis Bach
- Denis Coderre Mayor Of Montreal Canada
- Gabriel Perez Salas
- Jean Todt President FIA And SG's Special Envoy For Road Safety FIA
- Michelle Yeoh
- Miguel Ángel Mancera Mayor Of Mexico City Mexico City Mexico
- Nikhil Seth Executive Director United Nations Institute For Training And Research (UNITAR) India
- Peter White Chief Operating Officer. World Business Council For Sustainable Development Switzerland
Sustainable transport and mobility in the urban setting require a combination of policy elements, including affordable public transport, investment in infrastructure for motorized and non-motorized transport as well as environmentally friendly, efficient and multimodal transport options. In addition, these policies must synergize with urban and spatial planning, land management, housing, and other relevant policies. Transport and mobility even with the above mentioned elements can only be sustainable if they are also safe. Globally, 1.24 million people die on the roads as pedestrians, motorists, passengers, public transport users or commercial vehicle drivers. As urban areas flourish and become rampantly inhabited around the world, by people and vehicles, road safety must be a critical element for consideration when planning for sustainability. Safety is a key component of achieving SDG 11, particularly SDG target 11.2 which aims to provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport for all by 2030. This event will host panel of road safety stakeholders including United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Road Safety, United Nations regional commissions, government and private sector representatives to discuss the critical need for road safety initiatives and effective city-level programs to achieve sustainable cities.