- German Environment Agency (UBA).
- Deutsche Gesellschaft Für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ),
- United Nations Economic Commission For Europe (UN ECE),
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
- World Resource Forum (WRF).
Following prognoses for urbanization in the coming decades up to 6.5 billion people will live in cities until 2050 – about 2.5 billion more than today. This enormous urban expansion will have local, regional and global effects and put pressure on demands on materials and natural resources like minerals, metals, ores and land. UBA and its partners intend to present and discuss how the rapid urbanization can be shaped in a resource efficient and land saving way. The Side Event will help participants and stakeholders understand: Why it is crucial to handle urban resources efficient and sustainable? What are the potential challenges in urban planning with focus on resource efficiency? How can we react on the enormous urban expansion in a resource efficient way – on local, regional and global level? What are key steps to better enable resource efficiency in construction and urban planning?