Alicia Bárcena Executive Secretary UN ECLAC Mexico Ayat Soliman Practice Manager The World Bank Group Egypt Catherine Mabobori Coordinator Women Movement For Peace And Security Burundi Gary Sharkey Programme Director Global Cities Business Alliance United States of America Giovanni Di Cola ILO Special Adviser International Labour Organization (ILO) Italy Ilsur Metshin Mayor Of Kazan Mayor Of Kazan Russian Federation Javier Gonzales Mayor Municipality Of Santa Fe New Mexico United States of America Julio Davila Director And Professor Unit University College London United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Le-Yin Zhang Senior Lecturer And Director Of MSc In Urban Economic Development Bartlett Development Planning Unit University College London United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Martha Chen Professor (Harvard University) International Coordinator (WIEGO) Harvard University WIEGO Network United States of America Rod Regier Executive Director Of Economic Development City Of Kitchener Canada Rubbina Karruna Cities Adviser UK Department For International Development United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Saleh Bin Mohammad Al Nabit Minister Of Development Planning And Statistics MINISTER Of QATAR Qatar Samba Diouf Private Consultant Private Sector Senegal Sandeep Chachra Executive Director ActionAid India India
|Organization: Bartlett Development Planning Unit University College London (UCL); Korean Research Institute For Human Settlements|
Building Productive, Sustainable, and Inclusive Urban Economies
This Dialogue will address how to promote urban economic development at city level effectively and how to leverage urban economic development for social and environmental sustainability. The dialogue is action-oriented, and aims to promote the integrated and coordinated implementation of sustainable development, which is the focus of the New Urban Agenda. This Dialogue aims to encourage discussions among different stakeholders on urban economic development strategies and reflect on past and present experiences in developed and developing countries. It is argued that the right kind of urban economic development strategies can directly contribute to the development of productive, sustainable, and inclusive urban economies, support social and environmental sustainability, and help meet the Sustainable Development Goals (in particular: Goals 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13).
· What are the key challenges facing cities in order to build productive, sustainable and inclusive economies and provide opportunities and prosperity for all?
· What are the key elements/characteristics of effective policy and strategy for achieving such outcomes in the framework of the implementation of the New Urban Agenda?
· How can different stakeholders help in this process and work with each other?
· What can we learn from past and present experiences in developed and developing countries?
· What changes are required in the structure of urban economies and the supporting institutions in order to make urban economies not only economically sustainable, but also supportive of social and environmental sustainability?
· How can we best leverage cities and human settlements as drivers for sustainable development?